If you are a healthcare professional based in a GP Practice, hospital or workplace and have an interest in helping people in Dorset living with cancer improve their living well potential, then we can make it easy for you to introduce your patients to Living Well Active.
If you would like to find out more, please contact us using the form on the right, and a member of our team will respond to any questions or requests you may have.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY BRIEF ADVICE TRAINING.
Being physically active during and after cancer treatment can have multiple benefits including slowed disease progression, improved survival and reduced recurrence. Physical activity helps cancer patients maintain physical condition, can help improve psychological wellbeing and can reduce some consequences of treatment such as fatigue, anxiety and swelling.
In the UK only 23% of cancer patients are active to the national recommendations and 31% are completely inactive. A cancer diagnosis offers an opportunity in which patients might be more receptive to lifestyle changes. Healthcare professionals are well placed to offer physical activity advice and signpost to further support. However, we know that few cancer patients are given information about being physically active during and after their treatment.
Free Online Training
Very Brief Advice on Physical Activity – Ask, Advise, Act
Cancer patients come into contact with many professionals. These interactions provide an opportunity to initiate a change in behaviour. The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence recommends that all health, wellbeing and social care staff should be encouraged to deliver very brief advice to motivate people to make a lifestyle change.
Very brief advice describes a short intervention (less than two minutes) delivered opportunistically using an ‘Ask, Advise, Act’ framework. It can be used to raise awareness, giving information about the importance of physical activity and signposting for further support.
This training programme is built around evidence-based behaviour change techniques. The training programme has been shown to increase practitioners’ knowledge, develop their skills and lead to improved practice.
• Understand the importance of physical activity for people living with cancer.
• Find out what resources are available to support people living with cancer to become more active.
• Learn how to deliver effective advice on physical activity to people living with cancer in less than two minutes.
Who is it for?:
All healthcare professionals coming into contact with people living with cancer.
Training Programme Dates for 2016:
- 20 January - 12.00pm to 1.00pm
- 19 February - 8.00am to 9.00am
- 21 March - 3.00pm to 4.00pm
- 19 April - 5.00pm to 6.00pm
- 19 May - 10.00am to 11.00am
- 22 June - 1.00pm to 2.00pm
- 22 July - 9.00am to 10.00am
- 22 August - 4.00pm to 5.00pm
- 27 September - 7.00pm to 8.00pm
- 27 October - 11.00am to 12.00pm
- 23 November - 8am to 9.00am
If you would be interested in taking up this training, please email me with your name and contact details and I will organise for the online training provider who I am working with in this (Macmillan Cancer Support) to contact you to arrange. If you know any colleagues who would be interested, please let them know.
LIVING WELL ACTIVE TALKS FOR PATIENTS.
Living Well Active offer Move More - Feel Good group talks for people living with cancer free of charge.
If you already have a regular gathering or would consider setting up a specific Living Well Talk event for your patients, we will happily support you with an engaging and inspiring Move More - Feel Good Group Talk. To discuss further, please get in touch through the contact form on the right.
LIVING WELL ACTIVE TALKS FOR STAFF.
Whether its your regular in house staff meeting or annual conference, 5 to 500 people in one place, we always welcome the opportunity to share the benefits of Living Well Active.
Our talks, delivered by our Living Well Director, Layne Hamerstoncan canbe tailored to 15,30,45 or 60 minutes which will provide your staff;
- An inspirational insight to how physical activity can improve the potential of your patients to live well.
- Information and resources to make it easy to introduce patients to Living Well Active.
WHOLE GP PRACTICE OFFER.
Living Well Active can offer the following to GP Practices to improve the lives of their patients living with a cancer diagnosis.
- Understanding Survivorship Talk
- For primary care staff to understand what cancer survivorship is all about (Delivered by Macmillan GP Advisor)
- Practice education resources
- Practice staff training – suitable for General practice and Pharmacy staff – lets get moving; motivational interviewing
- Practice leaders training – a review of practice patient profile by cancer diagnosis type; how to develop a practice cancer plan; how to ensure patients know about and access the cancer survivorship programme at the right time in their treatment; discussing how to improve local cancer pathway management including diagnostic access
- Living Well Discovery Group Talk
- Locality education talks facilitated by Macmillan GP Advisor.
- GP Practice based Living Well Walk
- Group led weekly health walk starting from your GP practice
- Training for patients to become group health walk leaders / mentors
- Patient signposting to local recommended physical activity options
- Ongoing support for patients to sustain their activity and knowledge of living well opportunities
To discuss your requirements, please get in touch through the contact form on the right.